Picture Ornaments

I'm really excited about this DIY ornament, not only was it cheap, but its fun and easy. There would be some things I'd do differently on the next ornament; but I'll list them at the end of this post.

So first I started by buying  3 wood blocks for 99 cents each at Michaels. I took those block and painted them black.(leaving one side not painted so it could dry on that side). Lay them on wax paper so they don't stick. 


 I then drilled a hole in them (okay, so maybe Junior drilled the hole for me...I was totally capable but he insisted). Make sure you make the holes as straight as you can. You'll want to be able to put 2-3 strands of THIN ribbon through, or maybe 1 strand of medium sized ribbon.


Choose 12 pictures, and resize them down to 1.5". I did 1.5" this time, and while they look nice, I'd probably do 1.3" next time to give it a black edge effect to it. You can do this in Microsoft Word, Photoshop or even Picnik. 


I printed my pictures on gloss paper, but you can print them on regular paper then put a coat of gloss mod podge over them. To apply the pictures to the blocks, I spread a light layer of mod podge to the wood then placed the picture on. I let this dry for a day before I messed with it again.

I then just put threaded some ribbon through, making knots for each block to sit on then tied off on a bow.



How easy and cute is that??


THINGS I'D DO DIFFERENT: Downsize (vertical) pictures to 1.3"
Use beads to separate blocks,
thicker/more ribbon.


Let me know if you try it, I hope you do!!!

~Lauren

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment